The Friends of the UW-Madison Libraries Grants to Scholars program funds research by visiting scholars at any of the UW-Madison campus libraries including Mill Music Library, home to the Mayrent Collection of Yiddish Recordings. The program supports scholars seeking to engage with the Libraries' many important collections, and helps support the Mayrent Institute's mission to promote the study of Yiddish music and culture.
Scholars wishing to work with the Mayrent Collection are encouraged to contact the Mayrent Institute with any questions regarding the collection's holdings. For full details on the grant and application process, please visit the Grants to Scholars website.
Eligibility and Deadlines
- Applications are due December 31 each year.
- Applicants must live further than 150 miles from Madison, WI.
- Awards are restricted to those scholars who hold a PhD, or to PhD candidates with an approved dissertation.
Yiddish Holdings and Collections at UW-Madison
In addition to the Mayrent Collection, UW-Madison Libraries hold several important collections that document Yiddish life in Wisconsin, the United States, and the world. Some examples include:
The Yiddish Sheet Music Collection (Mills Music Library)
Over 300 individual songs published between 1897 and 1971 in Yiddish or Hebrew, almost entirely popular songs, and songs from musicals or motion pictures.
The Howard Weinshel Scrapbooks, 1921-1988 (Wisconsin Historical Society)
Photocopied scrapbooks of a leader of the Perhift Players (Peretz Hirshbein Folk Theatre), a Yiddish theater company formed in Milwaukee in 1920 as the Young Literary and Dramatic Society, which in 1931 became the Yiddish Drama League; containing programs, clippings, letters, photographs, and minutes documenting Weinshel's performances and activities with the Perhift Players, the Milwaukee Players, and the Center Players of the Jewish Community Center of Milwaukee. Some clippings in Yiddish.
מילװאקער װאכענבלאט Milwauker wochenblat (Wisconsin Historical Society)
A Yiddish weekly newspaper from Milwaukee, WI, established in April 1914. In Yiddish and English.
Horwitz family papers, 1911-1955 (Wisconsin Historical Society)
Papers, many in Yiddish and Hebrew, of the Milwaukee family of Isador Horwitz, publisher of the Jewish Daily Press and the Milwaukee Wochenblat (an English and Yiddish newspaper). Most of the letters were written to Isadore and Mae Horwitz by their children, mainly Hayim Horwitz; some are in recorded form. Also includes a scrapbook of news articles by Horwitz, photographs of family children, and greeting cards kept by a daughter, Rita.
Bureau of Jewish Education records, 1939-1949 (Wisconsin Historical Society)
Records of an organization formed in 1944 to promote and coordinate Jewish education in Milwaukee, and of its predecessors, the Joint Committee on Jewish Education and the Milwaukee Talmud Torah Association. The files are those of George Laikin and contain articles of incorporation, by-laws, correspondence, minutes, and reports. Records document the origins of the bureau and the 1947 consolidations of its affiliated schools: the Beth Israel and United Hebrew Schools, and the Milwaukee Talmud Torah and the Yiddish Folk Shule. Also included is a comprehensive survey and evaluation of Jewish education in Milwaukee conducted in 1941 by the Chicago Board of Jewish Education.